Saturday 16 April 2011

Now watch this drive

Yesterday I  promised today’s reference of an inspiring opening act would be heavier, and when mentioning that I had in my mind Esoterica, a band from Croydon opening for Marilyn Manson in Brixton Academy, back in November 2009.

The singer sounds a lot like Maynard from APC/Tool and the music is really catchy, atmospheric and decently heavy. They didn’t steal the show in the Manson gig (MM is a god when it comes to live performances) but their playing was so decent that earned them a higher place in last summer’s Download Fest in Donnington. They performed mainly songs from their second album, The Riddle, including personal favourites (subsequently) Tomorrow I Won’t Remember, Silence, Scream and Watch This Drive; including also tracks from The Fool (1st release) like Don’t Rely On Anyone and Life Is Lonely.

I instantly adored this band, appearing in perfect timing for me (Tool and APC were neither touring nor recording at the time) and producing decent albums. I checked both of their albums and I still listen to them with the same excitement as in the first time; however I will always judge a band based on their live shows. Now watch this drive...literally

PS. Tomorrow, the perfect soundtrack to a morning 5K run

                                

3 comments:

  1. Talking of opening acts. I would like to remind you our faces (yours, mine, Angeliki's and Pano's) when we saw for the first time Mastodon opening for Tool in Nottingham!!! And although it is not proper to talk about opening acts in a festival, remember the first band we saw in Donington 2005!!! Yes, it was Trivium and even though I don't like Trivium I would never forget the energy and the number of circle pits that spawned within minutes.
    By the way, I think Esoterica sound very very (suspiciously) similar to APC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like Trivium that much either. I do remember that night in Nottingham...I miss those days back then with all the road trips! Let me remind you who opened for Red Hot Chilli Peppers back in Cardiff, 2004...Remember? He's up there with Jimi and Jon now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can I forget the opening act of that RHCP concert!!! Mr James Brown. Shockingly pleasant experience!

    ReplyDelete